Have you ever wondered if you should/could drink a cup of coffee before exercise? We dug into the matter and here are the good reasons to drink before exercising….and a bit of a warning. Take a look below.
Coffee – so long as it’s not laden with cream and sugar; just say no to the peppermint latte – can actually boost your workout. Here are seven reasons why:
- It makes your body use your fat cells as energy instead of using glycogen.
- It can increase your metabolism, helping you burn more calories during the day, and drinking coffee before exercise increases that effect.
- Coffee also can act as an appetite suppressant.
- Coffee can help you train longer.
- Coffee also can help you focus more during your workout.
- You may experience less muscle pain during a workout than if you didn’t drink coffee.
- You may experience an increase in blood flow throughout your body, a very good thing anytime.
Drinking coffee before exercising can result in, well, a race to the restroom mid-session due to caffeine’s diuretic and laxative properties.
You also should:
- Drink just a small cup before exercise, no Grandes or Ventis from Starbucks. And remember: no cream, flavors, sugar or artificial sweetener. Black coffee only.
- Because our stomachs absorb caffeine quickly (within 15 to 45 minutes of drinking), it will hit its peak effectiveness for your workout in about 30 to 75 minutes. Therefore, drink the coffee about one hour before working out.
- If you tend to work out at night rather than in the morning, it may be better to not drink coffee prior to your exercise session because caffeine stays – and affects you – for about four to six hours after drinking, therefore possibly hindering your ability to get to sleep. (Drink coffee at 6, work out at 7, you’re still experiencing caffeine’s stay-awake effects at 10 or 11.)
The Bottom Line:
Coffee can be a great addition to your workout, so long as it’s black, is a small cup and you drink it about an hour before exercising.
To help ensure you drink it black only, brew your coffee at home: you’ll have less temptation to order a flavored/sugared cup. And because you’re treating yourself well by exercising, continue to do so by brewing premium, specialty coffee such as Ubean Coffee. You won’t find us in stores, however: find a Ubean independent distributor near you.